Saturday, May 15, 2010

I knew this day would come eventually

So for all of you mother's of singletons.....Remember that joyous day your child was born in the room with your loving husband at your side? You were told about C-Sections and what bad things could happen but it was rare and not to worry.

You know the minute they say you are having multiples it is almost like they are prepping you for a train wreck...and for good reason. I think the entire day the twins were born was one train wreck to the next.

My husband S was in a ticked off mood. Did not know what he was doing with the van that day..I think nerves got the better of him. We got in there and he and my friend Maureen were just all nerves. I walk in and they look at me and go...OMG do you want a wheelchair? No seriously, I am having a C-Section....let me walk while I can...so I get all registered, go upstairs and find myself in my room and just sit..and let it all sink in..at 1030 am I said ok in a few hours I will officially be a mother! Of twins at that!!

Since the birth itself is not that much to tell I will give the highlights...

One of the nurses had a son who was in my father's class at the high school he taught at.

When you have twins there are two sets of everything...one for each baby of course....two nurses, well three....one for me and one for each baby...three dr's again for the same reason.

They got Zoe out so fast.....they lifted her up and I noticed she was HUGE....then I felt a tug as they lifted my ribs to get to Sebastian...he came out screaming!!

As they sewed me up my husband S went out and told everyone what was going on and to check on the babies. Being a planned C-Section my mother, father, sister, brother and friends were in the waiting room.

They came in and told me that Zoe's apgar scores were 9,10 and Seb's were 10,10

That they had weighed Zoe three times...and shocked each time...she topped the scales at 10 lbs 7.6 oz....a huge difference from the 9 lbs 5 oz they were expecting!

Sebastian was 7 lbs and 11 oz.

Zoe was 19 1/2 inches long

Seb was 19 3/4 inches long

To put this into perspective for you...my younger sister just had a baby boy last week and Cooper weighed 7 lbs even and was 19 inches long.

So from birth my twins have been anything but normal.

By evening, I was already up and moving around. I just knew it was imperative to get back to me as soon as possible for the twins. A few bumps here and there.....Zoe had to be put on soy, I had blood pressure issues...and S threw a fit about Sebastian's name....wanted to name the poor child Wolfgang.

I won on all fronts and on May 11 the Dr came in and said, "Ok you are going home today, enjoy the rest of your life with your children."

Finally! I knew this day would come eventually.

Days to go 363
Entries to go 362

No comments:

Post a Comment